The Superior School of Agriculture “Luiz de Queiroz” (ESALQ) of the University of São Paulo (USP), based in Piracicaba, is an EMBRAPII Unit accredited to work with Biocontrollers and biotechnological processes in the sustainable management of agricultural pests.
The ESALQ unit is an innovation center with great technical capacity to solve the demands of the companies for technological solutions in the development of biological products, pheromones and biotechnological processes for the management of agricultural pest control. The subareas involved in the research projects are:
- Biological products for the agricultural pests control based on micro-organisms, parasitoids and predators
- Sex pheromones for monitoring, mass catching or confounding of pest insects
- Products based on attractive and repellent substances
- Natural products from insecticidal plants
- Programs for pest management and pest resistance to insecticides and genetically modified plants
- Bioprocesses and biotechnology in the sustainable pest management
The highlight is for two projects already carried out in partnership with EMBRAPII:
- Development of an inoculant based on entomopathogenic fungi for sugarcane with the Simbiose Biotecnologia company
- Development of a program of biological control of tobacco pests with parasitoids and predators with Philip Morris Brazil company
Located in Piracicaba, 160 km from São Paulo, ESALQ is a public institution, which daily receives around 2,000 undergraduate students and 1,000 post-graduate students, as well as post doctors, young researchers and participants of post graduate courses sensu. The student population has opportunities for international experience through exchange and double-diploma programs, as well as a solid training with field practices, in-and-out internships, extra-curricular activities and full teacher support, which ensures vocational training.